Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Chapter 3.0 - Creating Jobs and Economic Growth
Canada’s Economic Action Plan continues to support job creation and promote economic growth. The Government of Canada’s Plan has allowed Canada to recover all of the jobs lost during the global recession—supporting the creation of over 1.2 million net new jobs since the depths of the downturn. Given ongoing global economic uncertainty, however, the Government remains focused on supporting job creation and economic growth.
To this end, Economic Action Plan 2015 builds on the Government’s plan for jobs and growth by:
- Supporting the manufacturing sector and investing in advanced research by keeping taxes low, supporting Canada’s manufacturing and processing companies, and investing in world-class advanced research.
- Helping small businesses and entrepreneurs create jobs by fuelling small business growth, fostering entrepreneurship, and reducing red tape and the tax compliance burden.
- Training a highly skilled workforce by helping Canadians acquire the skills that will get them new and better jobs.
- Investing in infrastructure by introducing a new and innovative Public Transit Fund—the Government’s largest targeted infrastructure program to promote public transit infrastructure investment in a manner that is affordable for taxpayers and efficient for commuters.
- Growing trade and expanding markets by securing preferential terms of trade and investment with other nations, helping Canadian businesses fully capitalize on global opportunities, and responsibly developing Canada’s natural resources.
|Supporting the Manufacturing Sector and Investing in Advanced Research|
|Encouraging Investment in Canada's Manufacturing Sector||8||146||338||393||348||1,231|
|Supporting World-Class Advanced Research||25||115||206||249||363||396||1,354|
|Subtotal—Supporting the Manufacturing Sector and Investing in Advanced Research||25||123||351||586||756||744||2,585|
|Helping Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs Create Jobs|
|Helping Small Businesses Grow and Fostering Entrepreneurship||80||279||397||520||855||1,225||3,356|
|Reducing Red Tape for Businesses and Enhancing Corporate Governance||13||13||13||18||57|
|Subtotal—Helping Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs Create Jobs||80||279||410||533||868||1,243||3,413|
|Training a Highly Skilled Workforce|
|Training the Workforce of Tomorrow||20||144||181||192||197||736|
|Supporting Canadian Workers||48||31||7||7||7||100|
|Ensuring a Safe and Healthy Workplace||1||1||1||1||1||5|
|Subtotal—Training a Highly Skilled Workforce||68||176||189||200||205||840|
|Investing in Infrastructure|
|Investing in Infrastructure||250||500||1,000||1,750|
|Continuing to Build and Renew Federal Infrastructure||5||393||428||235||256||276||1,593|
|Subtotal—Investing in Infrastructure||5||393||428||485||756||1,276||3,343|
|Growing Trade and Expanding Markets|
|Responsible Resource Development||110||117||130||80||76||513|
|Subtotal—Growing Trade and Expanding Markets||127||151||169||100||96||644|
|Total—Creating Jobs and Economic Growth||110||991||1,517||1,963||2,680||3,564||10,825|
|Less funds existing in the fiscal framework||192||207||183||115||115||811|
|Less funds sourced from internal reallocations||25||40||86||22||22||15||209|
|Less anticipated cost recovery||18||19||15||14||14||80|
|Announced in or prior to the Fall Update||80||305||200||-30||555|
|Net Fiscal Cost||5||436||1,006||1,773||2,529||3,420||9,169|
- Date modified: